Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Adult Dinner Out

Last night, Adam and I celebrated our 3rd Wedding Anniversary. This week also marks 5 years since we started dating. My amazing sisters had given us a gift certificate to 1789 for our birthdays back in May. We decided to wait and use the gift certificate when we could split a good bottle of wine. Adam had no desire to participate in graduation events at Georgetown, but he wanted to go to dinner at this fancy restaurant. One of Adam's co-workers works at Georgetown as well, and he called ahead and told them it was out anniversary!

I met Adam and his mother at the end of their work day at McNamara, and swapped Katie for Adam. Katie spent the evening at her Grandma and Grandpa Greer's house. She got to spend time with her Aunt Shannon, who is in town doing work for her PhD. Katie must have had a blast because she slept great when we got her home after dinner!

We got there early and found a meter close-by. We got to go to Tombs, the bar below the restaurant, to have a drink and an appetizer. It was nice to sit back and watch some college hoops and catch-up on how our days went.

Free valet parking after that (suh-weet) and we got a bottle of wine (Spy valley Sav Blanc) and had the best meal ever. We split the special "white truffle of alba" as an appetizer. It wasn't white truffle oil, it was shaved white truffle. This is SO good! It was shaved over Tortelloni duck egg pasta, burrata cheese and local butter. Here's an article on this amazing delicacy that we got to try: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2029487,00.html

Did I mention the menu's had "Happy Anniversary" on them for us? We got to keep them!



I had Halibut (Homer, AK) lobster farro, baby carrots and rosé lobster beurre blanc. Fish and lobster? Yes, please! Adam had Snapper (Panama City, FL) grilled fennel, Yukon potatoes, scallions and baby ginger and gewürztraminer fumé.

Dessert was impressive. I had pear sorbet. Adam had Apple Cider Donuts with cinnamon apple sauce, whipped crème fraîche and spiced apple cider. They had candles in our desserts with "Happy Anniversary" signs and a glass of complementary champaign (it was the good stuff, too!)


I didn't take any pictures, but I found this online. This is actually the view of the dining room from the table we sat at!

We had a really nice night out!

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! You had me at white truffle shavings. Drool*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! So much has happened in 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that is so awesome that you guys got to have a date night! :) Congrats on 3 years! :) <3

    ReplyDelete