Dear Katie-
Tomorrow starts a new chapter for us. Tomorrow morning, we'll do what we usually do: around 6am, we'll all wake up, I'll change your diaper and get you dressed, then we'll go into Mom and Dad's room and you'll eat. Dad will say "Good morning, kiddo" and you'll burp and sit in your fun aquarium swing until I'm done showering. After that, things may seem a bit unfamiliar. Tomorrow, Mom goes back to work, which means you'll be going to Grandma's for the day.
I always wanted to work. I didn't get a master's degree to stay at home! I always assumed I'd return to work after you were born. I love my job. I knew leaving you would be hard, too. I don't think anything could prepare me for the massive mix of emotions I currently have.
Your great grandma, who was an amazing social worker, stayed home after your grandma was born. With five children, I'm sure she used her skills from her education everyday! Your grandma went back to work as a computer programmer when I was 6 weeks old. Your aunts and I were so lucky to have a special person, Diane, who came to stay with us when grandma was at work. Diane is still a member of our family, and we loved being with her. Grandma showed me that she could do it all: work and be successful, and also never miss a field trip, class party, cross country meet, etc.
We started a college fund for you. This means, we're assuming you'll go to college. If you do, we are expecting you to use that education. Don't think of this as some sort of limiting thing- your parents both have psychology degrees, and use them everyday but not in the way you'd think. Using your education and doing what is stereotyped for your degree are two different things. There are a zilion ways to use your degree. Why do I bring this up now? It makes me think about the example I'm setting for you. I feel so strongly that it's important for a woman to have the capacity to be self-sufficient in this world, emotionally and financially. Too many women in this world think they'll get married at 20 and be a great mom and wife forever. This is a nice plan, but the world is not predictable like that. My hope for you is that you will have a career along with having all those other wonderful things in life. I plan on setting the example for you that this is possible.
There will be hard time ahead of all of us. It was rather easy while I was home. But, I feel strongly that it's best for me to return to work. I love my job, and my kids there need me. I know you need to learn to listen to other adults. I know I need to be out of the house because of my energy level. I know financially I need to work. Part of me is so sad today because I will not spend all day with you tomorrow. Part of me is excited to be around adults and back to work. All of me knows this is the right decision for all of us right now.
I don't know what the future holds, Katie. I do know that tomorrow starts a new, fun adventure for our family. And I know we love you very much.
Love,
Mom
beautiful post, Abbie.
ReplyDelete