Monday, February 16, 2015

"That's the way God made you"

Adam coached female athlete and has a psychology degree. I have coached female and have psychology and a counseling degrees. The need for modeling and support of positive body image is one we have talked about. We know eating problems come out of inabilities to cope and social pressures.  We also haven't avoided difficult topics: poverty, hunger, disability. We talk about kids who don't have beds or blankets.  Katie knows our neighbor who is in wheelchair and cannot talk is still a friend and we say HI. We know he was born that way and it's okay he's different.  In school, Katie will not be a "skin tone" majority- and will be exposed to many cultures. We had talked about how we love ourselves the way we are. I had missed an important part of that lesson.
Last night, I realized how developmentally-normal questions can be terribly rude and embarrassing. Last night, Katie looked at a good friend of mine and asked "Why is your tummy so big?" I wanted to crawl under the table. My wonderful friend took it in stride, but I was mortified.  Tonight, I took the religious spin on positive body image.  We talked after baths about how we all look different because God made us this way. I had remembered to empower my little lady to love her hair, eyes, nose and skin, but I had forgotten to enforce that we love (don't question why) how everyone else looks, too.  Having an extended family that looks (and sounds) so many different ways, I'm hoping this will stop some off the public questions. I want her to be inquisitive and open to question the world around her, too- so it's a tricky balance.



 I think we're doing a good job projecting to future topics while exposing Katie (and Will) to age appropriate topics.  I guess the journey is never done, and I'm thankful for friends and family who love our crew unconditionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment