Tuesday, October 27, 2015

John Albert Duggan

My grandfather died as suddenly as an almost-93 year old can die.

I hate euphemism for death.

Three things mattered the most to Dr. Duggan: family, faith, and field.  While these sound like sylos- functioning independently, they were far from seperate. Grandpa cared deeply for people, especially those who had less than others. 

My children called my grandfather "Doc" because we depended on him for medical guidance. His career as a helper was his identity. The line at the funeral home was long, as former patients and parents of former patients came to pay their respects.  
My grandmother, mother, and her siblings were examples of strength during the whole process.

The hardest moments are those when Katie asks about next summer. For 32 summers, Chatham and my grandparents house, has defined terms like "beach" and "family." I don't know what the future holds, but I know Chatham, and my life, will never be the same.

I am thankful for the time together to celebrate our grandfather. We gathered in Worcester. We laughed. We cried. I'll share pictures from that adventure soon. 






No comments:

Post a Comment